That is the million dollar question I know. Well, I'll give the general overview.
I was 226 lbs and I no longer was having my period. At first I thought I might be preggers, but then the doctor said, nope, you are just waaay too fat. So at first I was diagnosed as possibly having a condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This is an endocrine disorder so I was referred to an endocrinologist.
He looked me right in the eye and said "You don't have PCOS. You are 75 lbs overweight. If you lose the weight, you will be fine and you'll start menstruating again. I don't care how you do it, but you have to lose weight. You're a pretty girl, don't you think you'd be happier if you weighed less?"
I ignored his last comment, and freaked out about how I was going to lose the weight. 75 lbs! When I had never attempted serious diet in my life?! I really do like myself, and how I look and I always had men in my life, so if I ever gained weight...I just bought a bigger size and didn't worry too much about it. I also had a very bad drinking problem which led to binge eating, but I'll discuss that at a later time.
So I was at a gynecologist appointment whining to her about how I had no idea how to lose the weight. She had a suggestion of a doctor she had heard about, but never met, who ran a weight loss program. She gave me the name of it and I set off in search....
Basically, the ,expensive, program is a "Protein Sparing Modified Fast". In its simplest form, it is eating the lowest amount of calories in the form of protein that a person can consume without starving. It puts the body into ketosis, like Atkins, and does not take it out. The longest you can do a diet like this is four months then you have to refeed or your organs can shut down. I lost 50 lbs in the first 4 months. I do take supplements so that I don't have electrolyte issues like people who have anorexia and I also get my blood tested every two weeks. I have about 25 more lbs to lose to be at my goal weight. (around 130). Since it is Christmas time, and I work in an office, this is really very very hard. Right now, I"m eating cookies someone dropped off for us. Cookies and anything with sugar is totally off limits on this diet. It is easier to say what I can eat, than list off what I can't. I can eat lean meat and certain vegetables. I measure everything out. No more than 9 oz of meat a day. No tofu, just meat. This is definitely not for vegetarians.
But today...cookie day! I'll restart the diet tomorrow. I didn't cheat once in the first four months, but now it is so much harder. Because I'm a size 10 and in the 150's, so I really like how I look! And I think sometimes,"why am I still dieting?". But I need to have a healthy BMI and I want some cushion room to gain some weight back after the fast. I will NEVER be fat again. For my health, I never want to be over 150 again for the rest of my life.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment