Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Small Victories/Merry Christmas!


So this morning I woke up at 4:30 am and I thought "I don't have to go to the gym...my trainers won't be there anyway..." Then I thought about all the cookies I had eaten and got myself out of bed.

I drove all the way downtown, my gym is rather far from home, but close to work, and it was closed!!! They wouldn't be opening until 7 am, which means I wouldn't have time to go and get ready for work and be there on time.

But I decided to walk the stairs at my office instead! I thought this would be a great way to work some cardio in today. I get to work at 6 am and realize that my badge doesn't open the building doors like it is supposed to!! So I had to sneak in behind some guys who had good badges...I work at a government building, so this is a little unnerving, but they did give me a good once over and I did have a badge on....

Then, the stairwell was locked!!! It was like God, or maybe the devil, didn't want me to work out today! But I was determined at this point, even if I just did laps around the building.

My building has two banks of elevators, and of course the one to the 11th floor was not working yet, so I had to take the first bank to the 10th floor, but they wouldn't move when I pushed the button! I was lucky enough to find someone with a good badge who could make the elevators move and I made it to the tenth floor and the stairwell.

I work on a secured floor, and I knew my badge wouldn't let me access it until at least 6:45, so I plopped my bags on the stairwell floor and started climbing. I walked up and down for 15 minutes. I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but climbing real stairs is hard! My heart was definitely pumping. Luckily my floor has showers, (I guess so the public officials can freshen up for late meetings, or really early mornings...I have no idea) so I was able to get all sweaty and then clean up for work. I took a pic of myself today. Does anyone else feel that it is helpful to take lots and lots of pictures of yourself? I still think of myself as fat, and the pictures seem to help sometimes.

So I got some excerise in! Victory for me! Merry Christmas everyone!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog via Katschi's and you've done wonderfully. Congrats. And, congrats on the exercise climbing stairs. I've been doing the stairs in my office and agree. It's HARD. I'm impressed you did it for 15 minutes!

WWSuzi said...

I'm in awe at how hard you worked to find a way to exercise!! Awesome, way to go!!

Brightcetera said...

Really, how determined were you!!!
I agree...stairclimbing is HARD! I've been fitting it in at work.
I think it's very helpful to take pics so you can get an honest appraisal of how you look (although right now I don't like the truth of what I see)