Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 3/4

Yesterday was a little tough. I woke up with a headache and the thought "Why am I doing this again?". But the day did get better and I just ate an extra orange for breakfast. I know that I'm not really consuming the amount of calories considered a VLC (very low calorie) diet. Instead I'm consuming the amount that most people consume when they are suffering from a cold, or just not feeling very well. (approx. 800-900 calories).

You may ask yourself if this is really worth it. I believe that focusing my diet on fruits and vegetables is indeed worth it. I was witnessing my diet becoming heavy in processed foods, sugar, meat, cheese, and simple carbohydrates. (ex. I ate an entire box of Cheez-its in two days....) I also was overindulging in bread, specifically pan dulce, or mexican sweet bread.

So in order for me to clear out my house (clean up my eating habits) I felt the need to do this cleanse. I am retraining myself to eat a healthy diet, one that begins with fruits and vegetables (and some healthy fats). Later I will reintroduce vegetable proteins such as beans, quinoa, and edamame. Toward the very end, I will start to enjoy salmon and nuts again as well as small amounts of cheese.  Sugar will be avoided as long as possible. I have a raging sweet tooth that sends me over the edge often.

I'm also going to experiment with abstaining from wheat for the first time ever. I'm calling this an experiment b/c I know it won't last. I'm part Italian and my go-to comfort meal is pasta. ANY KIND. So I will be back to whole wheat pasta at some point. In fact, I have to stop thinking about it right now and go steam up some broccoli.....

No comments: